1. Where is the Foothills Regional Landfill Located?

The Foothills Regional Landfill is located on Highway #783, 5.5 km south of Highway 7 or 5 km North of Highway # 543. (SE-32-19-29-W4M). Click here for a map.

2. What are the hours of operation?

Monday to Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Closed Sunday and all Statutory Holidays.

3. Is there residential pick-up for Foothills County residents?

There is no municipal garbage pick-up for residents, except for those residents living in Blackie, Cayley, Silvertip, Hawks Landing and Aldersyde.

4. Is there a charge to dispose of waste?

There is a $10.00 minimum charge on all waste loads brought to the Landfill up to 100Kg. Any loads over 100Kg are surcharged at the current rate.

5. Are there any garbage drop off locations in Foothills County?

There are two transfer stations located in Foothills County:
Diamond Valley Transfer Station – located 168 St. West and 402 Avenue. Open Friday & Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For additional summer hours please call 403-938-5224.
Priddis Transfer Station – located 264 St West and 178 Ave. Open Tuesday & Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

6. What is the cost of disposal at the transfer site and what is accepted?

Transfer stations accept bagged household garbage only. Bags for use at the transfer station must be purchased for $2.00/bag, to pay for the cost of the tipping fee. They can be purchased at Millarville General Store, Hi Ho or Esso in Diamond Valley and the Priddis Transfer Station.

7. Is there any free recycling taking place at the Landfill?

Yes, the Landfill serves as a free collection centre for tires (no rims), used oil, oil filters, oil jugs, antifreeze, household hazardous waste, paint, pesticide containers (must be triple rinsed), cell phones, cell phone batteries, fluorescent light bulbs, and grass. Large commercial volumes are sometimes surcharged, so, its best to call ahead of time if you have large volumes of these materials.

8. What electronic waste products are accepted?

Computers, keyboards, mouse, cables, speakers, monitors, printers (under 1000 kg’s), laptops, notebooks, tablets, and TV’s

9. What is not accepted as electronic waste?

DVD players, VCR’s, stereos, label makers, calculators, and digital photo frames etc.

10. Are there recyclables that have a tipping fee?

Yes, the Landfill charges for the following recyclable materials: metal, Freon-based appliances ($ 20 Freon removal applies), automotive propane tanks, wood, branches, and cardboard.

11. What about household appliances?

Household appliances, also called white goods, are divided into two groups: Freon-based appliances include: refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, and dehumidifiers. If they contain Freon, there is a $20.00 Freon removal fee. Other appliances (stoves, washers, dryers, etc.) are charged at regular household garbage rate.

12. Are hazardous materials permitted in the Landfill?

Household Hazardous Waste (paints, cleaning solvents, chemicals) are accepted, but do not enter the landfill. They are collected at the Household Hazardous Waste Collection Area for proper sorting and packing. Commercial volumes of hazardous waste will be surcharged, or possibly rejected and we cannot accept radioactive waste, explosives, or ammunition.

13. Are there landscaping materials available for purchase at the Landfill?

Landscaping wood chips, gypsum, class ‘A’ compost, and different sizes of sandstone are for sale. (more info…)

14. What does “tarp your load” mean?

It is required by law that every load being transported over a public roadway be secured in a manner to prevent any debris from falling off the vehicle. There is a $10 surcharge on un-tarped or un-secured loads.

15. How is a Landfill different than a dump?

  • A Landfill is operated under strict Alberta Environment and Parks regulations to protect air, water, and soil.
  • In a landfill, waste is spread in layers, and compacted tightly. The waste is covered daily by clay, or other approved materials.
  • Dumps are considered illegal because they do not adhere to government regulations regarding burying of waste and the controlling of groundwater contamination.
  • After a landfill has reached capacity, it is covered with topsoil and replanted. Often it is used for pasture, cropland, or recreational purposes.
  • A closed landfill is monitored for 25 years or more to avoid soil erosion, excess runoff, and to protect ground water.

16. What are the accepted forms of payment?

  • The landfill site (LRRC) accepts Visa and Mastercard.
  • The Priddis transfer station accepts Foothills County marked bags, or bags can be purchased with cash.
  • The Diamond Valley transfer station does not accept cash, only Foothills County marked bags are accepted.